Ugly goes Travelling

Ugly documents her Travels

Friday, May 26, 2006

[East/Central Indonesia] Prologue

"What do you want the computer to do?"

Reluctantly, I shut down the Tecra, by now, "battle-worn" and limping, but still able to withstand term papers and FIFA 2005.

The last emails had been sent prior to shut-down; the last blog posting had been published - it feels like some last rites being performed, not necessary prior to a death, but perhaps stemming from my own excitement/anticipation/apprehension about the trip.

After all, an impromptu decision was so close to the stage of materialisation - it was hard to imagine coming up with the idea of joining our dear MD a little over five weeks ago that we (Naga + Ugly) would want to tag along with him to Palu'e (Pa Lu'e with a glottal stop just before the last vowel), after the chat with him on Good Friday along the corridor outside the Hons Room.

As I kept the Tecra back into its bag, I checked clock - 5am. Have to meet Naga at Harbourfront at 930am. Shall wake up at 7am then.

Planted myself on the sofa set - decided to forgo sleeping on the bed in case I got too comfortable and missed the wake-up time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Spent half of Friday itself, I spent some time in school shopping for medical stuff in the co-op and returning my books at the library.

Gotten home to pack the remaining stuff - thanks to Sis, who had a large Nike bag that I can make use of for the trip.

Right then, I had been troubled with finances for the trip. Naga's estimation of the total costs and mine deviated greatly, and though he offered to bail me out in any event of shortfall, I had my reservations - Naga needed the money for his bungee-jump, plus I just feel not right to borrow large sums of money from others. "All talk about money hurt relationships", so goes one saying. Nonetheless, I had hoped for any miracle to happen beforehand, like finding a thousand bucks in the lift or something like that. When it had became clear that it ain't gonna happen, I prepared for the worst - like envisioning myself tearing 5 little pieces of the French loaf on the streets of Bali , putting each piece into my mouth and chewing it till the pieces broke into fragments so fine that I couldn't choke on them even if I had been paid to do so.

Or offering my "services" in Bali to earn any amount that could take me back home.

Hmmmm then again, maybe not. Shall attempt to swim back to Batam if all else fails.

Hah. This coming from someone who doesn't like swimming in waters with high sodium content.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My eyes opened slightly - brightness filled up the last image of the living room in my mind.

And then I jolted out of bed.


To be continued....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home